06 September 2009

In the Bag(s)

I have two bags. A standard backpack like the one you had in grade school except with some anti-theft features and a 65 liter REI Flash Pack. When I left Chicago this bag checked-in at 29 pounds. The other probably weighed 5. Stuff moves between the two depending my needs. I also bought a small shoulder bag in Israel that is quite useful.

The rule of thumb is you fill the bag you have. I bought the 65 liter bag with that in mind. There are not too many things that I packed that I wish I had not and the couple that I plan on leaving in Chicago I could just as easily keep them with me. At the same time, I find myself not using most of the stuff I have.

I bought just about everything I did not already have from REI or Amazon. I will try to link to stuff when I can later as I did above but I do not want to take the time to do that now. I spent an embarassing amount of money on stuff in preperation. Seriously, I am not telling you. I probably could have done it for half. Also note that several things that many people would have already, like an i-Pod and camera, I did not have.

Clothes:
5 cheap white t-shirts that will be ditched as necessary
1 long-sleeved shirt with a collar
1 long-sleeved nicer (relatively) shirt (will leave in Chicago when I am there)
2 short-sleeved polo-like shirts (standard cotton, non-quick-dry, will leave in Chicago)
3 REI quick-dry short-sleeved t-shirts
1 REI quick-dry long-sleeved t-shirts
1 REI quick-dry polo-like shirt
1 pair REI quick-dry shorts
1 pair REI quick-dry pants
1 pair jeans
6 (about) pair of quick-dry ankle socks
6 (about) pair of boxers (standard cotton, not the quick-dry kind which I considered)
1 pair of hiking shoes from REI
1 pair of crappy flip flops
1 pair of sandles that can go in the water (what I am normally wearing unless proper shoes would be useful)
2 pairs of swimsuits, or whatever you want to call them

Electronics and Tech Stuff:
(This is the section where I am sure I can cut stuff out. Somebody actually commented to me that I have more stuff than clothes, which is not normal for backpackers.)
-16 GB iPod Shuffle (latest generation) and kit with a small wall recharger and headphones
-Sony CyberShot 12.1MP DSC290 (or something similar) camera with 2 4GB memory cards and kit including carrying case, extra battery, USB adapter
-40GB photobank (basically a hard drive that copies the data on a memory card)
-Water purifier and water bottle
-Security mesh thing for locking my bag to something fixed
-Binoculars
-Power adapters to just about everywhere
-Two small combination locks

Toiletries and the Like:
-Small container of shampoo and conditioner
-Small container of laundry deterget (which I lost before I used it a single time)
-Handful of q-tips
-Razor and extra blades and shave cream
-Electric razor and charger
-Small, folding toothbrush
-Small container of toothpaste
-Eye drops (lubricating)
-Anti-itch cream
-Tums and some common over-the-counter drugs
-Deodorant
-Ear plugs
-Small container of hand sanitizer

Other:
-Sleeping bag liner
-Universal sink-stopper
-Roll of toilet paper
-Several books (started with Fight Club (read), A Confederacy of Dunces (read), 1984 (nearly done)). Bought and read Anthem. And yes, that is the most I have read since grade school. Easily
-2 water-proof bags (unless submerged), one 8 liter the other 20 liter
-A Chicago Bulls hat (go Bulls)
-Timex watch
-Small alarm clock
-Swiss Army knife
-Wallet, debit card, credit card, Illinois driver's license, and less and less money
-Passports and slip for passport
-Photocopies of passports and health insurance card (and the card itself)
-Cheap duffle-like bag to put my big bag in when checking it
-Several plastic bags of varying sizes

I am sure I forgetting stuff that is really obvious but that is all I can think of.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that you did this. Now you'll be able to rest easier...

    When are you going to be in Australia? I'm thinking of heading there in January...

    ReplyDelete