22 November 2009

Shanghai, China, Part II

I did not know prior to going to Suzhou if I could get directly to my next intended destination so I made plans to return to Shanghai. Also, the hostel said they could hold on to my bag for a couple of days, which lessens my load a lot and makes getting around markedly easier. So, even though I had less than positive opinion of Shanghai I returned.

I liked Shanghai much more this time than the previous time. I think this difference can be mostly attributed to a few things:

1. Weather (constant rain to just scattered rain).

2. Hostel room (I was in 103 before with a chronic urinate-all-over-the-washroom, not just seat or toilet, but entire washroom, Chinese guy and then was in 116 with a much cleaner washroom).

3. Actually doing stuff (relates to number 1 above) and meeting people who do not urinate all over everything.

Shortly after I arrived I went to the Bund area, which is supposed to be some of the best views in the city. Unfortunately, Shanghai has construction all of the city (for the Expo 2010 previously mentioned) and the views of the Bund are mostly obscured. The following day I went to the French Concession area and walked around. This area is now dominated by little boutiques selling things I am not interested in, but there are still several nice streets and buildings and parks. A good area that I would like to visit again in warmer weather. The French Concession area is easily my favorite in Shanghai. Honestly, as it is currently, it is one of the few things in Shanghai actually worth seeing.

Overall, this time in Shanghai elevated my opinion of the city, though it is still not my favorite place.

No comments:

Post a Comment