07 December 2009

20 Hour Train Ride to Hong Kong

This gets its own post not only because it was basically a day of my trip but because it is an experience.

Preparing for a 20 hour train ride is not as simple as you might guess. You have very limited access to at least your biggest bag because of how it is stored. You sleep, and live, really, in a very confined area with up to 5 strangers right in the same confined area, and hundreds of other strangers on the train. You do not know if food is provided, so you have to bring enough food for 20 hours. You do not know if the train is going to be cold or hot so you have to prepare for both. You need to keep your self entertained for 20 hours, less sleep, so you have a book or two, music, etc, ready to go. And, there is a pretty decent chance you will not speak to anybody for those 20 hours because the odds of somebody knowing English are not so high.

Well, I prepared just fine. I had a bit too much food, which is better than the alternative. I was entertained adaquetly. Temperature was reasonable. And, on top of all that, in my confined area where two English people and an elderly Chinese guy that for some reason spoke perfect English. It was a good trip and time went by pretty quickly.

Unlike nearly every other train I have been on in China, I was early to arrive for this one. I did not want to even risk missing it. And I am glad I was, especially when the two English people mentioned above told me that they were supposed to be on the train to Hong Kong that left two days ago but missed it.

That said, I am fine with not taking another 20 train ride any time too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment