15 September 2010

Brisbane, Australia, Part III

This one is going to be brief because did almost nothing for the few days I was in Brisbane this time. I was once again couch surfing with Vanessa, Gabby, and Kat. I picked up my passport with my new 10-year India visa (excellent) and booked a flight from the Gold Coast, Australia to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and from KL to Kolkata, India. The way the prices of the flights worked out I ended up having a bit more time in Australia and intentionally scheduled a few days in KL to take care of errand-type things.

Once I picked up my passport and booked the flights I had nothing to do. I ended up trying to cook for the first time...in my life. I ended up making curry four times. The first batch was bland but edible and the following three attempts, once I decided to use some spices, had much more taste and, as far as I and those that tried it are concerned, were pretty good. I received some nice compliments and although curry is hard to mess up they were good to hear. It was also good to try something new even if that something is something I probably should have attempted 15 years ago. It was also nice to feed Vanessa for a change since she had cooked for me a few times, even though the curry I made was too spicy for her to enjoy more than a small portion.

That is pretty much all I did for a few days. There was some drama when Vanessa and her roommates learned that the owner of the house, their landlord, was returning so that have to move out in a couple months. Vanessa had lived there for 2.5 years and had grown attached and so did Gabby, Kat, and myself, all of whom had spent considerably less time in the hippy house. There was some more drama when Kat's boyfriend, Josh, broke up with her, but they got back together several hours later. This did make for an entertaining evening though.

No comments:

Post a Comment