19 February 2010

Dalat, Vietnam

I try to avoid quoting Lonley Planet in this blog but sometimes it just does a better job than I can and "bizzaro Vietnam" could not be better descriptor of Dalat. The air is cool, the land is hilly, the town is spread out but not huge, the architecture still retains much French influence, and foreigners are harrassed considerably less.

Quy Nhon remains my favorite place in Vietnam but if I had to live somewhere in Vietnam, Dalat would be the place.

The combination of the hills and the spread-out nature of Dalat lends itself nicely to renting motorbikes and we indulged. Dalat itself is a pretty good place but the surrounding area is where the real beauty is. Lakes, waterfalls, picturesque scenery, evergreen forests, hidden beaches with plenty of hammocks. Just riding and looking around was the best part.

Side note: The prevalence of hammocks in central and southern Veitnam is one of my favorite things about it. They are every where. While waiting for customers people sit/rest/sleep in hammocks in their store. At places that serve beverages along a walking path or a beach chairs are often replaced by hammocks. Never in my life have I seen more hammocks including the time I was in the hammock complex on third in the hammock district.

While in Dalat I had my birthday which this year coincided with Tet, the Veitnamese New Year, and the biggest and most important and popular holiday of the year and of course especially this year because it was my birthday and I was in town. Fireworks aplenty. Lots of fun to be had. Everybody celebrating and happy and excited. Certainly a memorable birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment