08 June 2010

Krabi Town, Thailand

With a large variety of things to do, beautiful scenery, and nice beaches, what more could you ask for in a tropical destination?

Before I continue, in the last several posts I have often referred to somebody simply as "my friend." This friend is the friend that flew into Bangkok at the end of April and have been travelling together since. From now on, for simplicity, I will refer to him as "Shaun." It is just easier than my friend this and my friend that.

Shaun and I arrived in Krabi on bus from Ranong. After countless u-turns, the bus dropped us off. At the bus station we arranged out accommodation so that they would pick us up from the bus station so we would not have to pay to get from the bus station into town. We also decided to stay in Krabi Town as opposed to the beaches because it was less expensive accommodation, cheaper food because of the night markets, and less touristy. We were happy with the decision even though it meant some extra transport when doing activities but this was not such a big deal.

The following day we went rock climbing on some of the area's notorious limestone karts, much like the ones I scaled, or attempted to, in Yangshuo, China. The difference being that in Krabi they are set on water instead of land. The climbing was good. Shaun struggled a bit but given it was his first time climbing it is understandable.

Also while in Krabi we went on a "4 Island Tour." This was actually better than I expected. I am usually hesitant to go on organized tours as they are often overpriced and less enjoyable than trying to do stuff on your own. This one, however, I think would have been next to impossible to figure out and organize for an individual or even a small group and probably would have ended up costing more. During the tour Shaun and I went snorkeling (another first for Shaun), threw a disc around the beach, sat on the roof of a moving boat (a boat's a boat), among other activities. Using my somewhat new digital camera I was able to get some cool pictures of the fish underwater. They seemed to be attracted to the noise it made when taking pictures, which allowed for some even better pictures.

Another day we just went to the beach and lounged around.

Krabi Town and immediate surrounding area became one of my favorite destinations in Thailand and possibly my favorite in the southern part of the country. For somebody that gets bored with the beach pretty quickly, Krabi is ideal with its range of attractions and natural beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment