08 June 2010

Penang, Malaysia

After about six weeks in Thailand it was time to move to the next country, Malaysia. I have been looking forward to Malaysia more so than any other country in southeast Asia other than Laos and was excited to finally be there.

My first stop in Malaysia is the famous island of Penang. The island has a pretty rich history that I know little about and will not bore you (nobody) with. Shaun and I spent out entire time in Penang in Georgetown, the capital of the island. At least partially because of this, Penang felt less like and island to me and more like a town or small city. The beach was right there but I never went there and did not see it except for when I arrived and left. Given its history, Georgetown has plenty of tourist attractions in the form of historical sites and temples, but, unless especially famous or highly regarded or I am personally interested for some reason I generally do not make an effort visit such attractions. Walking around and getting a feel for a place, while taking some pictures of the building or sites I find interesting or nice, is fine by me. And that is just what we did.

Penang is famous for its food. Malaysia as a whole is pretty food obsessed and Penang is often considered the best dining in Penang. The food combines local Malaysian cooking with nearby Thailand styles while incorporating the island's historical influences of Indian and English. Suffice to say, the food is good. I am not much of a foodie, but even my palate was able to distinguish some tastes and combination.

Penang was a nice place. If I had to pick a place to live in Malaysia, it would likely be near the top of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment